Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mixed Media Singer's Muse

Mixed Media Singer's Muse by judkajudy
 
I have been admiring the ability of others to take splashes and dashes and swirls and circles and make beautiful art!! Unfortunately, too often my work remains just that ... splashes and dashes!

So yesterday I was determined to play and have fun and create. I tossed aside my watercolor paper with the splashes and dashes and started over!

I had on hand three jars of Lumin Art Acrylic Glaze purchased for a yet undone project, in brilliant green, teal and purple. I brushed the glaze directly onto the stamp and bravely stamped onto the watercolor paper. I set it aside to let it dry (hard for me to do!) and when I got back to it, I applied Distress Ink in shades of yellow and orange to the project.

Ahhhh, what to do next? I spied a package of twine on my desk. The top of the package looked very bird-cage like, so I cut it off the package and changed it's color from kraft with a white acrylic paint dauber. Then I stamped the sentiment from Penny Black's transparent set "Eloquence" onto the project. The sentiment demanded that the little wooden stars, colored with a Copic marker, be added. That little bird cage didn't look right with just the stars, so I added a wooden butterfly, also colored.

The jar of ModPoge was on the desk and I got out a foam brush and coated the whole thing with high gloss ModPoge. Actually, there are three coats of the ModPoge on the 6 inch by 6 inch mixed media project.  


I feared for the safety of my sewing machine needle so did not stich the layers together .. but added the photo corners to make your eye travel from the heavily laden left side to the more sparse right side!

I took much longer to make this piece than it has taken me to tell you about it! I did enjoy just letting this all happen! Of course, as I look at it now there are things I would do differently .. much less yellow, I think! Oh, and I would not ask dh what he thought of my mixed media project!!

Hope you let your inner artist out and get involved with mixed media!! Nothing bad happens that soap and water can't fix!

So glad you stopped by ...

10 comments:

Barb said...

YAY!!! Good for you, Judy! I LOVE it! It turned out so beautifully! My favorite line in your whole post was . . ." I did enjoy just letting this all happen!" That's the best part of mixed media! :)

Unknown said...

Your work is just magical. You can take a plain piece of paper and turn it into a master piece. I just love this. Love you too!

Cat Craig said...

I think you achieved a wonderful balance.

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Gorgeous! You are an artist!

donna mikasa said...

What a masterpiece! You should be so proud of this and hope it's the start of more to come! I'm inspired...

Dawn T said...

well done Judy. Much braver than I. Mixed media scares me. A great project.

Penny Ward said...

I love it! You are so good with words...so jealous! And never ask DH opinion on crafting...they just don't get it!

Rosemary said...

what a fun mixed media project, judy! love how you repurposed the twine package!

Sally said...

Wow! This is a beautiful mixed media project, Judy - love the colors, the layers, and your creativity. Yes, there are some things that we just shouldn't ask dh's opinion...

Greta said...

I'm really impressed--wonderful use of all your supplies, Judy!