Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Roses by Penny Black

100_6080.jpg by judkajudy
Once upon a time on one of the home decorating shows I love to watch on TV, a designer said "every good design should include a touch of black". After I made this very pink card, I added the touches of black and knew it was a good idea!

I began by stamping six rows of Penny Black's Rose Edging stamp on my white cardstock. I then added a layer of vellum that came embossed with tiny roses. Love the texture it added. I sewed the three layers together and then stamped my sentiment from Penny Black's From the Heart set.

I don't know of another flower die that has the intricate detail that this Rose die from Penny Black has!! I cut three layers and stacked them and let the last layer of leaves remain free of glue. I like the dimension that adds.

For balance, I added the little black dots and then sat back and pondered ... it needed something else. That little wooden heart was on my desk, just waiting to be colored and glued into place. Just right!

Making Valentines has been a distraction from the severe cold we are experiencing. As I look out my window, I see a dusting of snow on my neighbors' roofs. A snow storm is expected south of us later today. Imagine!! Southern Alabama and Georgia closing schools due to snow!!

Stay warm and thanks for stopping by!!

12 comments:

Barb said...

I love the softness of that vellum overlay, Judy - such a gorgeous background! And your rose looks amazing! I agree with adding the bits of black - stunning card!

Stay warm - and when ya don't think you can stand it any longer, think of me up here in Minnesota where it could NOT get any colder!! Lol! ♥

Unknown said...

Mom,

This card is a beautiful reminder of the love all should share on Valentine's Day. You inspire me.

Scott

Sue McRae said...

That is one gorgeous card Judy! So elegant. Love the softness of the vellum and the black accents are spot on.

Lin said...

This is a beauty, Judy, and perfect for Valentine's Day! Adding the vellum was genius!

joy said...

So beautiful, Judy! I love the black accents and the way the leaves are left loose. This winter has been one to remember, for sure!

Rosemary said...

this is a real jaw-dropper, judy... love the touches of black and that wonderful comment your son left you!!

Cindy C. said...

Wow it's gorgeous Judy!!

Judy1223 said...

Oh, my...did somebody say, "GORGEOUS?!?!" That's what this is, drop-dead gorgeous!!!

Dawn T said...

what a beautiful card Judy. You are right about the touch of black. It really makes the card zing!

Therese said...

what a lovely card! i love that subtle background and your die cut detail.

Greta said...

I thought about you with the southern storm--hope all of you including Cooper survived OK! That rose die is on the top of my wishlist! LOVE your card, Judy!

Loly Borda said...

gorgeous card Judy! TFS,